I am a resident of the Federal Republic of Germany. I am not a United States citizen. I have not been lawfully accorded the privilege of residing permanently in the United States as an immigrant.

I am a professor or teacher visiting the United States for the purpose of advanced study, teaching, or research at Michigan State University. I will receive compensation for my teaching, research, or study activities.

The compensation received during the entire tax year (or during the period ) for these activities qualifies for exemption from withholding of federal tax under the tax treaty between the United States and the Federal Republic of Germany. I have not previously claimed an income tax exemption under that treaty for income received as a student, apprentice, or trainee during the immediately preceding period. (If, however, following the period in which the alien claimed benefits as a student, apprentice or trainee, that person returned to the Federal Republic of Germany and resumed residence and physical presence before returning to the United States as a teacher or researcher, that person may claim the benefits of this treaty.)

Any research I perform will be undertaken in the public interest and not primarily for the private benefit of a specific person or persons.

I (insert the date of your last arrival in the United States before beginning the services for which the exemption is claimed). The treaty exemption is available only for compensation paid during a period of two years beginning on that date.

Signature __________________________________________     Date _____________________

Michigan State University