I was a resident of the United Kingdom on the date of my arrival in the United States. I am not a United States citizen. I have not been lawfully accorded the privilege of residing permanently in the United States as an immigrant.

I am a professor or teacher visiting the United States for a period of not more than two years for the purpose of teaching or engaging in research at Michigan State University, which is a recognized educational institution. I will receive compensation for my teaching or research activities.

The teaching or research compensation received during the entire tax year (or during the period ) qualifies for exemption from withholding of federal tax under the tax treaty between the United States and the United Kingdom. I have not previously claimed an income tax exemption under that treaty for income received as a teacher, researcher, or student before the date of my arrival in the United States.

Any research I perform will be undertaken in the public interest and not primarily for the private benefit of any private person or persons.

I (insert the date of your last arrival in the United States before beginning the teaching or research services for which exemption is claimed). The treaty exemption is available only for compensation received during a period of two years beginning on that date. The entire treaty exemption is lost retroactively if my stay in the United States exceeds two years.

Signature __________________________________________     Date _____________________

Michigan State University