Controller's Home > Student Accounts Office > Frequently Asked Questions

Student Accounts

Student Accounts Home Page Picture
Questions? Ask Sparty

Student & Parent Frequently Asked Questions:

NOTE: To view the answer to question, click on the arrow next to the question.

Electronic Billing Questions:

  1. Why does the University require eBilling as the official billing method?

    There are several reasons why the University requires eBilling. One reason is that many other applications and processes at the University are paperless or electronic including grade reporting, applying for admission, applying for and accepting financial aid, and processing student refunds via direct deposit. Many courses convey course materials electronically, and students prepare and submit required course work electronically. The vast majority of students are familiar with STUINFO and it has become more commonplace these days for a student to obtain information such as fee receipts, account information, IRS Form 1098-T’s, Confirm Attendance, and request a transcript all in STUINFO. Many institutions around the country are now adopting electronic billing as their primary method of billing. During these times of economic hardship, electronic billing brings time and monetary savings to both the customer and the institution.

  2. What are the benefits of eBilling and ePay?

    Benefits Include:

    • Contributes to budget savings which indirectly affect the cost of tuition.
    • On-line history of eBills and ePayments
    • In the past only one bill could be mailed. Now a STUINFO enhancement called Guest Authorization makes it possible for the student to designate up to four guests (parents, spouse, etc.) who will also have access to electronic bills.
    • Whenever a new bill is ready to view in STUINFO, MSU will send a courtesy notification via e-mail to students at their FREE MSU provided e-mail account. Guests will receive a notification via the e-mail address that the student designates in STUINFO.
    • No more mail delays. Earlier notification of a bill due date gives you more planning time.
    • Additional payment options such as electronic check from a savings or checking account and credit card payments.
    • Electronic bills are user friendly, color coded and much easier to read than the old paper bills.
    • Available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week from anywhere in the world via the Internet
    • Payments submitted by 6 pm Eastern Standard Time are processed the same day
    • Private and secure

  3. Does the University charge for eBilling or ePay?

    There are no charges for eBilling. Paying by electronic check from a savings or checking account is also free. Paying by credit card does carry a fee.

Guest Related Questions

  1. How do students, parents, and other authorized guests receive the billing statement?

    Bills are available electronically only on STUINFO ( STUINFO is MSU’s on-line student information system. STUINFO is a secured web site that can be accessed by all students. Students will receive an email whenever a new bill has been produced. Parents and other authorized guests will also receive an email and can view bills in STUINFO only if the student authorizes the person as a guest within STUINFO.

  2. My parents (or other authorized guest) would like to be notified when I have a bill. Can an email be sent to them?

    Yes, an e-mail will be sent to your parents or any authorized guest. When authorizing a guest you will be instructed to provide a valid e-mail address for your authorized guest. The eBill subject line will read MSU eBill Notification and come from the student’s MSU email address. If the eBill notification sent to your authorized guest bounces, it will be returned to the student’s University e-mail address.

  3. How does a parent or other authorized user login to STUINFO?

    The student must first authorize their guests (up to 4) in STUINFO with a valid email address for each guest. Once the student has authorized a guest, the guest will receive an email with instructions to set the initial password for their own MSU Community ID account. Once the guest has set their password, they may access StuInfo at The guest can then enter their MSU Community ID (your email address) and the password at the login prompt.

  4. As a parent or authorized guest, what do I do if I have forgotten my password?

    Once your student has authorized you as a guest, you can reset your own password at Select the “Forgot your Password” link.

  5. I have tried to login to STUINFO multiple times unsuccessfully and now have been locked out of the system. What should I do?

    You may call the IT Service Desk at (517) 432-6200, or email to have your account unlocked.

  6. My parents do not have a computer at home. How can they receive a bill?

    The student can print off a copy of the e-Bill and provide it to their parents. The bill in STUINFO has a Printer Friendly version.

General Billing Questions

  1. What’s the difference between a Registration Bill and a Monthly Bill?

    A Registration Bill is produced only once per semester for each enrolled student. If the Minimum Amount Due is zero, or you do not plan to make any payment because you are anticipating financial aid to cover your costs, you MUST confirm your intention to become a registered student for the semester in STUINFO with menu item Confirm Attendance. If you do not confirm your attendance (or pay at least your Minimum Amount Due and/or clear your holds) your classes will be dropped.

    A Monthly Bill is produced each month if there are new or unpaid charges on the student account. Failure to pay the Minimum Amount Due on a Monthly Bill will result in a $25 late fee for each month the charges go unpaid. If the Minimum Amount Due is zero on a Monthly Bill, you do not need to confirm attendance.

  2. Why do we require confirmation of attendance and charge a late registration fee?

    Because students are allowed to enroll or make class reservations many months in advance of the semester starting, a student is required to take some form of independent confirmation once they actually receive their Registration Bill regarding their intent to attend the semester. Independent confirmation is needed for the disbursement of federal financial aid or other types of aid and/or to issue a refund of excess aid. Additionally in many cases, the student's action is taken as consent that the student intends to defer payment if there is a balance outstanding on the account.

    Receipt of payment confirms intention to attend the semester. If no payment is required, the student MUST confirm their intention to attend the semester by clicking on the Confirm Attendance button when viewing the bill in STUINFO or by selecting the Confirm Attendance menu item in STUINFO.

    Confirming Attendance is also a way that MSU reserves class space for the student. MSU does not take official attendance. Without requiring a student to Confirm Attendance, MSU's records could include hundreds of "phantom" students. These students would only be identified at the end of the semester when failing grades are reported and the instructor reports that the student never participated in the class.

    Students receive a minimum of two notices that they MUST Confirm Attendance before they are charged the Late Registration Fee. The Action Necessary section of the registration bill contains the message and a friendly reminder email is sent shortly before the initial due date. Failure to Confirm Attendance, make sufficient payment or clear HOLDS will ultimately result in the student being dropped from their classes.

  3. What’s the difference between “Enrolled” and “Registered”?

    ENROLLED means you have selected your class schedule through the computer. Although you have reserved your class schedule, YOU CAN LOSE IT if you do not become a registered student.
    REGISTERED means you have paid at least the Minimum Amount Due listed on your Registration Bill, Confirmed Attendance if the Minimum Amount Due is zero, and have cleared all holds on your Registration Bill (if you have any).

  4. Will I receive a new Registration Bill if I drop or add classes or receive late financial aid?

    NO. You will NOT receive a revised Registration Bill. You may either pay the amount on your original bill (and wait for a subsequent monthly bill for the changes) or visit STUINFO for a revised Minimum Amount Due. If you have not responded to your Registration Bill, links are provided on the View Bill and Account Detail screen or you may call the Student Accounts Office for a revised balance or a revised minimum amount due.

Payment Questions

  1. I don’t feel comfortable paying a bill on-line. How can I pay the bill?

    The e-Pay on-line service is safe and secure. Your data is encrypted by a 128 bit Secure Certificate at all times and is certified by Comodo. Paying on-line is much easier and convenient than paying by mail or in person and saves you time.

    If you choose not to pay the bill electronically, the Payment Coupon that MUST accompany your payment can be obtained under STUINFO menu item Pay Bill, “Instructions to Mail Payments”. Cut and send the bottom portion of the page with a check, money order, traveler’s check or cashier’s check to:

    Michigan State University
    Hannah Administration Building
    426 Auditorium Rd., Room 110
    East Lansing, MI 48824-2602
  2. What is an electronic check payment?

    An electronic check payment is an electronic withdrawal from either a savings or checking account at any US bank or credit union. MSU does not charge for this type of payment. To process your electronic (ACH) payment the payer will need their bank’s 9-digit routing number (found on the bottom left corner of a check) and their account number. We do recommend you check with your banking institution for your actual account number. Payments rejected due to inaccurate account numbers are subject to a $25 bad check/ACH fee. A $50 late registration fee will also be assessed to a student whose registration check/ACH does not clear the bank when presented.

  3. What credit cards does MSU accept?

    MSU accepts Visa, MasterCard, American Express and Discover. Credit card payments can only be made on-line in STUINFO. They cannot be made in person, over the phone, or by mail.

  4. Why is MSU charging a fee for the use of my credit card?

    Michigan State University charges a Convenience Fee to the cardholder for payments over the Internet for tuition, fees and other charges on the Student Account. This fee represents a portion of the cost to MSU for accepting credit cards as a form of payment. MSU does not profit in any way from this fee. Payment of tuition and fees via credit cards over the Internet is intended to be a convenience for MSU students and their guests. With this payment option, students/guests may make payments at any time of the day from any location.

    The Convenience Fee is only charged to those students/guests using this particular payment method for Student Account charges. It is not equitable to expect these costs to be absorbed by all MSU students. Therefore, only those MSU students/guests choosing to pay with a credit card over the Internet are charged for this convenience.

  5. Is there any way I can know how much the Convenience Fee is before I make my credit card payment?

    Yes. The first credit card screen will ask you to enter your personal information (name, address, phone, email, etc.) and the card type (MasterCard, American Express or Discover). Once you have entered this information click on the Calculate Fee button. The next screen will display the Convenience Fee. After viewing the fee you may proceed with the payment by clicking Submit or cancel the transaction by clicking Cancel. Once the transaction has been processed the fee cannot be reversed. Convenience fees are non-refundable.

  6. Is there any way I can avoid paying a Convenience Fee?

    Use of the credit card over the web for payment of Student Account charges is an additional customer service provided to anyone who is interested. Students are not required to use this method of payment. They may make an electronic check/ACH payment (automatic debit to their bank account) at no additional charge. MSU students are also welcome to pay the charges on their Student Account with the traditional payment methods of cash, check, or money order.

  7. Can I make a credit card payment over the phone?

    Unfortunately, the Student Accounts Office cannot accept credit cards at the counter, over the phone, or by mail. Credit card payments can only be made in STUINFO (a Web-based system). Payment via credit cards is intended to be a convenience for MSU students. With this payment method, students can make payments at any time of the day from any location.

  8. When will I see the electronic payment post to the student account?

    The daily payment cut-off time is 6 PM Eastern Time. Any payments made after 6PM will be processed on the next business day. (For example, a payment made on Monday at 7:00 PM will be processed Tuesday night and reflected on the student Account Detail screen on Wednesday morning.) Any payments made after 6 PM Friday will be processed at the end of the business day on Monday and reflected on the student Account Detail screen in STUINFO on Tuesday morning.

  9. Does MSU accept e-Payments from non-United States bank accounts?

    No. Any e-Payments must be made from a U.S. bank account. We are unable to accept payments from foreign bank accounts.

  10. Often I receive checks from my credit card company. Can I use the routing number and account number on these checks to make an electronic check (ACH) payment?

    No. The credit card companies will not honor checks used electronically. The payment will be returned as "Account Not Found" and the student's MSU account will be charged NSF/ACH penalties. You may use these checks through the mail only. Send mail payments accompanied by the Payment Coupon to the address below. Always include the student's PID number on the check. The Payment Coupon is located in STUINFO under menu item Pay Bill, option Instruction to Mail Payment.

    Michigan State University
    Hannah Administration Building
    426 Auditorium Rd., Room 110
    East Lansing, MI 48824-2602
  11. I would like to send a Wire Transfer. What information do I need?

    Wire Information can be found in STUINFO. Please view the International Wire Transfer Information Brochure.

  12. Can I wire transfer more than the total of my student’s bill so s/he can receive a refund?

    As a security measure and in keeping with recommended banking practices, wire transfers in excess of the balance due on a student account should not be sent to Michigan State University. If this does occur, MSU reserves the right to wire back the excess to the originating account, or hold the excess for a future semester. Funds intended for a student for personal expenses should be wired directly to the student’s local bank account.

  13. I need to send my payment overnight. What address should I use?

    NEVER SEND AN OVERNIGHT PAYMENT TO THE P.O. BOX. Print the bill coupon from STUINFO under menu item Pay Bill, option Instructions to Mail Payment, cut where indicated and send the payment coupon along with payment to:

    Michigan State University
    Student Accounts
    Hannah Administration Bldg.
    426 Auditorium Road Rm 140
    East Lansing, MI 48824
  14. Are there additional fees if I only pay the Minimum Amount Due?

    Yes. If you pay the Minimum Amount Due, (or any amount above the Minimum Amount Due, but less than the Account Balance), a payment plan will be set up on your account. There is a $10 payment plan fee per semester and there is a 7.9% APR interest charge on outstanding tuition and tuition related charges. For more information, see the next question regarding payment plans.

  15. Does the University offer any payment plans?

    Yes, MSU offers a deferred payment plan to help students and families finance educational costs. The deferred payment plan allows students to defer up to one-half (50%) of tuition, matriculation fees, energy fee and any program fees (if applicable); and up to two-thirds (66%) of residence hall charges. You can opt for the deferred payment plan simply by paying the Minimum Amount Due or by paying at least the Minimum Amount Due, but less than the Adjusted Account Balance on the Registration Bill. Deferred amounts are usually payable in two installments. The costs associated with this plan are as follows:

    1. A $10.00 payment plan fee per semester (charged when the student becomes registered).
    2. A 7.9% APR charge on the outstanding tuition and tuition related charges.

    Interest charged on payment plans will not be prorated due to early payments. There will be no penalty imposed if the payment plan is prepaid in full.

    The deferred FALL payments are due the first business day of October and November. For SPRING semester, the deferred payments are due the first business day of February and March.

    For more information, please refer to our web site by clicking on Student Accounts located on the side menu of this page.

  16. What do I need to do if my employer, the military or some other agency is paying my tuition?

    You should submit your voucher or billing authorization paperwork to Student Fees, Sponsored Aid & Fellowships Office (Hannah Administration Bldg, 426 Auditorium Road Rm 140, East Lansing, MI 48824). This office will post the award to your student account as outlined in the authorization to facilitate registration. You should then follow the directions on the Registration Bill to complete the registration process for each semester. The sponsoring agency will be billed following the close of the drop and add period, however, it is ultimately the student's responsibility to pay the bill if the sponsoring agency declines payment. A nominal billing fee is charged to the sponsor or student for this service. Questions, call 517-355-8380.

  17. Can I send multiple students’ payments on one check?

    NO. Each account must be paid with a separate check or money order and corresponding payment coupon. Paying multiple accounts with one check or money order will result in the payment being applied to only one account and a possible drop of classes or additional fees charged to the other accounts.

  18. Can I send a postdated check?

    NO. The check will be processed as normal regardless of the date.

  19. What happens if I don’t pay my bill on time?

    If you do not pay your Registration Bill by the due date, you risk being charged a Late Registration Fee of up to $50 and possible dis-enrollment. If you do not pay your monthly bill by the due date, you will be charged a $25 late payment fee on a monthly basis until the balance has been paid. In addition, interest will continue to accrue on your unpaid tuition balance if you have a tuition deferment. You will also be held from future enrollment, registration, and from obtaining a transcript and diploma until the debt has been paid.

  20. Can I have the MESP payment sent directly to the University?

    Yes. When initiating the payment ensure with your processor that the student’s number will be written on the check. Checks received without the student number are unidentifiable and may take longer to be processed. It is the parent’s/student’s responsibility to see that the MESP payment is received by MSU before your bill due date to avoid additional fees and possible disenrollment. Mail to: Michigan State University, Student Accounts, 426 Auditorium Rd, Room 140, East Lansing, MI 48824-2602.

Financial Aid Questions

  1. Could the dropping and adding of classes affect my financial aid?

    YES. Financial aid may be affected when class schedules are changed. If you change your schedule you may want to call the Office of Financial Aid. For more information of requirements by aid type, refer to the Financial Aid web site, Enrollment Effects on Financial Aid.

  2. Should I send my scholarship checks along with my tuition check to the Student Accounts Office?

    No. Scholarship checks need to be sent directly to the Office of Financial Aid. (Student Services Bldg., 556 E. Circle Dr Rm 252, East Lansing, MI 48824). If the check is made out to you and the University, sign the check before forwarding the check to Financial Aid.

  3. Why is my scholarship not showing on my bill?

    If you have a scholarship from a private donor, you must notify the Office of Financial Aid of the source and amount. They will put it in your aid package. However, the funds will not be applied to your bill until the check is received from your donor.

  4. How are loans paid to my Student Account?

    If you have accepted your loan(s) with MSU and completed an on-line promissory note (first-time borrowers) or completed the web acceptance only (previous borrowers) prior to the billing date, a credit for this loan will appear on your bill as Anticipated Financial Aid. If you enroll at least half-time, the loan will disburse (pay) to your account ten days prior to the start of classes. Any excess funds will be refunded to you during the week prior to classes.

  5. Why is my Federal Loan showing up as Anticipated Financial Aid on my Registration Bill?

    This could be because you have not completed your on-line promissory and web acceptance note (first-time borrowers) or completed your web acceptance (previous borrowers), or it could be more than ten days prior to the start of classes. Federal regulations prohibit actual payment of a loan more than ten days before classes begin. Thus, most students who enroll and are billed promptly will have Anticipated Financial Aid on their bills, since bills are produced nearly six weeks before the start of classes.

  6. Why isn’t Anticipated Financial Aid showing on my Registration Bill for my Parent PLUS loan?

    A parent PLUS loan will not create a temporary transaction until the Office of Financial Aid has received a signed promissory note from your parent(s) AND also received an approval on the credit check from the loan provider. Credit checks take five to seven business days to process once the loan servicer receives the signed promissory note.

  7. Which financial aid awards pay for my different kinds of educational expenses? For example, does my loan pay for tuition and does my scholarship pay for books?

    Most financial aid awards are not designated to pay for specific charges. Aid is applied until all the charges are covered, without regard to the types of charges you have. If you have an award which only pays certain charges (for example, a state or private scholarship), you will be notified when the award is made.

  8. Where do I send employer tuition vouchers?

    Send all employer tuition vouchers to Student Fees, Sponsored Aid & Fellowships, Hannah Administration Building, 426 Auditorium Road Rm 140, East Lansing, MI 48824.

  9. I’ve been awarded funds for the Computer Requirement. How will I receive the award?

    All financial aid funds, including increases for computer cost, are applied to the Student Account at the normal time of disbursement (ten days before classes begin). Only financial aid that exceeds the charges on the bill (tuition, fees, housing, etc.) will be refunded to the student. Please note that this means there will be no refund in cases where University charges equal or exceed the total financial aid.

    For more information, please visit the Financial Aid web site.

Federal Title IV Student Aid Questions

  1. What are federal Title IV funds?

    Title IV funds are federal student aid funds administered by the U.S. Department of Education. Title IV funds include Direct Subsidized/Unsubsidized Loan, Direct Graduate PLUS Loan, Direct PLUS Loan, Pell Grant, Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG), and Perkins Loan. It does not include scholarships from the University or other private organizations.

  2. How are Title IV funds applied to my student account?

    The Department of Education regulations authorize Title IV funds to be applied to tuition, mandatory fees, and room and board contracted by the University. Authorization must be provided by the student to apply Title IV funds to charges other than tuition fees, and room and board.

  3. Why do I have an excess of Title IV funds?

    Excess Title IV funds occur when the total amount of Title IV aid funds disbursed to your student account exceeds charges for tuition, mandatory fees, and room and board contracted by the University.

  4. What is the purpose of the Title IV authorization contained in the Statement of Financial Responsibility?

    Michigan State University, in compliance with federal regulations, must obtain voluntary permission from the student or parent borrower to apply federal Title IV financial aid proceeds to charges other than tuition, mandatory fees, and room and board contracted by the University, as well as charges related to a prior term, (amount limited by federal regulation). Examples include IM Sports pass, ID replacement charges, and MSU print charges.

  5. Can current year excess federal Title IV aid be used to pay prior year charges?

    Federal regulations state that a school may only pay prior year charges up to $200.00.

  6. Do I need to sign a new authorization form each semester?

    No, by signing the Statement of Financial Responsibility, you are granting the University authorization to apply excess Title IV funds to other university charges while you are a student at the University, including breaks in enrollment. You may rescind your authorization at any time.

  7. How do I rescind authorization to apply my Title IV funds to pay for charges other than tuition, fees and room and board?

    Students may change their Title IV authorization from accept to decline by contacting the Student Accounts Office. A cancellation or modification is not retroactive – it takes effect on the date that MSU receives the request. If authorization is rescinded, charges other than tuition, mandatory fees and room and board must be paid with other resources.

    Michigan State University
    Student Accounts
    Hannah Administration Bldg.
    426 Auditorium Road Rm 140
    East Lansing, MI 48824
  8. I still have questions, who can I contact?

    Please contact the Student Accounts office if you have any additional questions or concerns.
    Office: 517-355-3343
    Toll Free: 800-775-4323

Refund Questions

  1. How often are credit balances refunded?

    Refunds are processed daily for all eligible registered students during a two week period beginning the week before the start of classes, and processed on a weekly basis thereafter. Refunds will be issued in either check format or directly deposited into the checking or savings account of your choice. Emails are sent to students who receive a Direct Deposit refund.


    Refunds that have been processed can be viewed in STUINFO under menu item Student Account, option Refund Status or Account Detail.

  2. How do I enroll in Direct Deposit?

    Enrolling in our Direct Deposit program is easy! Simply go to STUINFO and click on Direct Deposit Enrollment under the Student Account Section. You will need your bank account number and routing number.

    For more information regarding Direct Deposit, click on the Student Accounts tab to the left of the page. From the Student Accounts page select Direct Deposit Refund Program.

Tuition and Fees Assessment Questions

  1. When does a student’s per credit tuition rate change from lower to upper division?

    When an undergraduate student achieves junior status (has earned the 56th credit), the student’s fee assessment will move to upper division rates in the following semester.

    As an example: At the end of a spring semester, a student’s accumulated credits total 55 credits and therefore is still a sophomore. The student enrolls for 15 credits for fall semester as a sophomore paying lower division rates for all credits. At the end of fall semester having passed all classes, the student has earned a total of 70 credits. The student has achieved junior status and will be assessed upper division rates in the following semester.

    Information on classification can be found in the Academic Programs catalog.

  2. How can medical and international students request a waiver of the health insurance fee?

    Waiver requests can be made in StuInfo. The Student Insurance Office oversees waiver requests.

Miscellaneous Questions

  1. What is a HOLD and how do I remove one from my Student Account?

    Holds are placed on an account when University charges are not paid by the due date. A hold may prevent registration, future enrollment and release of a transcript and diploma until the debt is paid. To remove the hold from your Student Account, you must pay the debt to the imposing department.

  2. How does MSU provide tax information to assist me in filing for the federal education tax credit?

    The IRS 1098-T Form is available online in StuInfo, by the end of January for the previous tax year. The form is not mailed. More information regarding the Federal American Opportunity and Lifetime Learning Education tax credits, can be found on our web page .

Michigan State University